PRINT: ISSN 2221-1896
ONLINE : ISSN 2223-0343

Bacterial infertility and ascending uterine infections with respect to pneumovagina and urovagina in cows
1*Goncagul, G., 2Seyrek-Intas, K., 3Kumru, I.H., 4Ozakin, C., 2Ozdemir, Salci, E.S., 5Weiss, R. and 5Prenger-Berninghoff, E
1Mennan Pasinli Vocational High School, Uludag University, Bursa-Turkey; 2Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Uludag University, Bursa-Turkey; 3Customs offices of Ministry of Agriculture Kapıkule, Edirne-Turkey; 4Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University, Bursa-Turkey; 5Institut für Hygiene und Infektionskrankheiten der Tiere der Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen-Germany

Ascending bacterial infections of the reproductive tracts are considered the most important causes of infertility in the cows. The aim of this study was to determine the types of bacteria causing endometritis in cows with pneumo-/urovagina and to compare them with bacterial flora of the cows with endometritis resulted from other reasons. The study was planned under two groups (Group 1: samples from cows with pneumo-/urovagina in the southern region of Marmara in Turkey. Group 2 (control): samples from cows with infertility due to other reasons in the Hessen region of Germany. In group 1, 101 dairy cows with pneumo-/urovagina revealed that 8 were negative on bacterial culture (7.9 %) in 101 uterine swabs. Bacteria was detected in the other samples (92.1%) including 41.8% Escherichia coli, 14.4% Streptococcus bovis I, 14.4% Streptococcus bovis II, 5.9% Streptococcus equines and 3.9% Bacillus licheniformis. The remaining 19.6% were 18 different bacterial isolates. In Group 2, the samples obtained from 142 cows were cultured, of which 140 samples (98.5%) were positive bacteriologically. Out of 22.1% was Escherichia coli, 15.3% a-haemolytica Streptococci, 14.3% g‑Streptococcus, 12.1% Truperella pyogenes, 4.2% Streptococcus uberis, 3.6% Staphylococcus aureus, 0.7% Staphylococcus heamolyticus and b-Streptococcus each, and the remaining 27% were 16 different bacterial isolates. As a conclusion, depending on the group, despite differences between endometrial swabs isolated from cows with infertility problems, Escherichia coli was the most dominant agent. The samples in Group 2 might explain why the ratio of Escherichia coli isolates was lower in Germany. This could be valuable data for diagnosis and treatment of the cows having clinical signs of pneumo-/urovagina.

Keywords: Cow; infertility; pneumovagina; urovagina; endometritis
To cite this article: Goncagul G, KS Intas, IH Kumru, C Ozakin, E.S. Ozdemir Salci, R Weiss, EP Berninghoff and G Baljer, 2012. Bacterial infertility and ascending uterine infections with respect to pneumovagina and urovagina in cows. Res. Opin. Anim. Vet. Sci., 2(12), 583-586.

Home  |  Archive  |  Instructions  |  Submission  |  Editorial Board  |  Sample Paper

All rights reserved ©